Friday, April 3, 2009

Book Review: Same Kind of Different As Me

Let me start by simply showing you a few of the reader comments I found on the book's website.
To God be the Glory, great things he hath done! My heart is so full. What a reminder that we serve an amazing faithful God. He is about every detail in our lives. I am continually in awe of His goodness through the heartache and pain. He is steadfast and sovereign. Ron and Denver: We are committed to pray for you both and the ministry God has given you. Debbie's words and wisdom too will always be a great reminder to love unconditionally. This story has engulfed my heart and poured the passion of our Lord in every corner. He cares so very much for us. What a day it will be when we all see him face to face. Until then~ continue to serve with great Joy!! Because He Lives, Shannon
- Shannon K. Williamsburg, Michigan

This is absolutely the best book I have ever read. I could feel the power of God through the pages! It is an awesome example of how God works in our lives and we don't even realize it right away. God doesn't do anything for nothing. There's a reason for everything that happens in our lives, and you never know how God is going to work something out or who He uses to touch people. This book reinforced to me that God is almighty! He can use whomever he chooses, and who would've thought there would be a connection with a slave from Louisiana and a wealthy white man from Texas? God is working on our behalf when we don't even know it. I thank God for the opportunity to read this book. It put me on a spiritual high and I will recommend it to everyone I know. God Bless.....
- Kimberly P., Kansas City, Missouri

Am so thankful God is using your story for His glory. I love the way the book is written, as well as its content. It reaches into the soul and leaves an indelible, life-changing imprint. Thank you for sharing and for sacrificing your privacy. May we all learn to hear God and respond to His voice, so He can shine through us the way He did through Debbie.
- Marinell T. Dallas, TX

This incredible story of faith in action and selflessness truely opened my eyes to see how incredibly self absorbed I am. Spending so much time and energy focusing on me and my poor problems! I vow to be different. I commit to focusing on others with the single purpose of showing them the love of Jesus.
- Debbra L. Arlington, Texas

I read the first 225 pages of this book in two days, but couldn't bring myself to finish the last twenty for another week or so. Like a wonderful journey you didn't want to end, so was the "experience" of having read this book. Simply put, I believe it to be one of the greatest pieces of literature ever gifted to man. It's a promise for the future and a blessing for the day. See you all on the other side.
- Ned N. Chattanooga, TN



Allison's Review:
I have not yet completely finished the book, but only have a few pages left. I agree with everything the readers above commented on about the book. It is the most incredible book I've ever read. At this point, it tops Redeeming Love and Twilight for me and that is saying a whole heck of a lot.

Also, please know that I'm not a big reader. I'm not always reading a book. It takes a really incredible book to get me interested, so know that if I'm giving a book a great review...it's a great book.

Last night, I was sitting on the couch reading while Michael was watching TV (and pouting because The Office and 30 Rock weren't on), and I was continually laughing hysterically, crying (really, I was bawling...and I'm not a cryer), and then laughing and crying at the SAME time. The book evokes so much emotion.

Not only that, but the book has really taught me a lot about my selfishness and caused me to change the way I think. It has without a doubt made me realize that life is short and that my relationship with the Lord and love for others is ALL that matters.

What makes the story even better is that it's true! See below for the authors (and main characters) of the book posing with the Bushes. Barbara Bush wrote a review on the back cover.


Why would you not read a book that tells the story of God's love and also takes you on a gripping, emotional journey?? Just do it! You will LOVE it!

4 comments:

Mindy Rives said...

I LOVE that book! I read it a couple of years ago and you're inspiring me to read it again! Have a great weekend!

Julianne said...

Yes it is great! I was crying uncontrollably!

annalee said...

hello to you too! your cavs are adorable. i especially love that y'all have two, i think we might be there someday too. they are just so sweet.
we also have lots of the same fave books!

Jodi Hughes said...

Thank you for posting a review of “Same Kind of Different as Me.” I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this exciting book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book “What Difference Do It Make?” which updates readers on their activity since the last book came out. Please email me if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site.

Thanks!

Jodi Hughes
pubintern@thomasnelson.com