Thursday, April 16, 2009

Miss My Hubby!!

I'm having an off week...or two weeks (if you cannot tell by my lack of blogging).

Basically, work has been busier than usual, and we've been out of town so much that any and all downtime is no longer spent blogging, but catching up on things I haven't been able to do on the weekends because I've been out of town or had company at my house since that's how it's been the past 5 weekends out of 6....and I'm about to be out of town again this weekend....and without my hubby. :(

This was one of the trips I was really looking forward to because my baby brother, Carter, is getting his Aggie ring.....WHOOP!!!!


I'm still really looking forward to all of it, but really wish Michael could be there for the festivities. Mainly because he really wanted to come, and also because he has gotten to where he's given in to the fact that he married into a 100% Aggie family and is really starting to enjoy the craziness. He's never been to campus on Ring Day though nor has he been to an Aggie Men's Club Parent's Weekend "Branquet"...so we were both pumped for him to be able to take it all in.




But with the way this week at work for him is going, there is a slim to none chance that he will be there at all. That'd be fine any normal week because I know I'd still have fun and would enjoy everything, but this week is not normal...I'm really missing Michael and normal human interaction. I think I've seen Michael (not including sleeping) for a total of 4 hours in the past 4 days. He's been working until 10:30pm and then getting home around 11pm...then, showering and going to bed.

It's funny how it works because if somehow his boss could give me fair warning that a week is going to be like this, I'd love it, because then, I'd set up a bunch of dates with friends and not really notice so much. But coming home to an empty house (besides Madeline & Kosmo of course!) and the house staying empty of other humans until bedtime is so weird. I pretty much only interact with my computer at work, so needless to say, this is getting old, and I'm losing patience.

I am a HUGE people person and HATE being alone....for anything. I mean, I want Michael to stay in the bathroom when I'm in the shower so he can keep me company. I want him to sit next to me on the couch when we're watching TV and not get up for anything. I want my girlfriends to go to the bathroom with me when I need to go. I want to go shopping with them because I need their opinion. I hate eating alone. I NEED PEOPLE!!! My love language is "quality time" which is probably no surprise to anyone who knows me well.

With my lack of planning to spend time with people...not knowing this week would play out like this, here's how its gone:

Tuesday night
-Make Miso Salmon (because Michael and I are trying to eat healthier; see previous "health" post). And don't get me wrong, if I liked fish in the least, I'm sure this would have been awesome.
-Have no one to cheer me on to eat it, so I pick at it and take two bites and decide I hate it...I just spent an hour cooking and its all going to waste
-Pour some wine and decide that will be my dinner
-Realize that's not enough, so I proceed to eat almost the entire pan of stir-fry veggies I made to go with the salmon
-Turn on a movie because there's nothing else to do...for some reason, I watched "A Walk in the Clouds"...much too serious for a night like this.
-The neighbor's dogs destroy a fence post because our sprinklers are on and they don't like water. This causes a debacle as Madeline tries to "defend our territory" and make sure no intruders hurt me in any way.
-Michael gets home at 11pm, realizes he has to wake up at 7am for a dentist appointment and make sure to leave enough time to fix the fence in the morning (not good!); shaves, showers, we get in bed

Wednesday night
-I take the train home at 6pm
-Tan
-Get home at 7:20pm
-Neighbor knocks on the front door the second I walk in the door (no time to change, eat anything, etc.). He is here to fix the fence.
-I get the grill started. I'm making Michael's favorite healthy burgers: Grass-fed beef with Ezekiel 4:9 buns and my favorite salad: Butter lettuce, strawberries, mandarin oranges with slivered almonds and poppyseed dressing.
-Other neighbor knocks on the front door...the 12 year old kid of these neighbors. By this time it's 8:15pm and dinner needs to get going, so I tell him to give me 5 minutes, and I'll come outside with the dogs.
-I go outside in 5 minutes....He wants us to hire him to walk the dogs. Any normal person would love this or at least be normal about it, but not me. I'm wayyyy too protective of my dogs and considering the fact that my nutty, fun-loving, full of energy dogs have both finagled themselves off the leash and/or out of their harness on more than one walk, the answer is definitely no. I try to tell him this in the nicest, most honest way possible and somehow end up saying "it's not you, it's me". (Did I just say those words???) Oops sorry kid - but that's not the last time you'll hear that!
-I finally sit down to eat at 9:15pm. I fast forward through Idol to see who got kicked off....no one did...interesting...
-I clean house, do laundry, do dishes...essentially, just try to get the house in perfect order before I leave town again Friday (I cannot leave town unless the house is perfect).
-Finish cleaning and take a shower at 10:15pm
-Michael gets home at 11pm; shaves, showers, we go to bed

Thursday
-Michael and I carpool to work
-I ask him if he thinks he'll be at home for dinner (wishful thinking!)
-He reminds me has a work event at Hotel Palomar which is why we're driving to work and not riding the train
-I ask him if he thinks he'll have to work this weekend...the answer is yes...or at least be in town and available to work
-At lunchtime, I get to see him for 15 minutes and we get Potbelly's to go

The great thing is that weeks like this for Michael really are few and far between, but they do happen. The incredible thing is that Michael is an employed and recently promoted investment banker who rarely has to work these kind of hours (by the way, these kind of hours are the typical hours of most investment bankers, so we are super lucky), so I am extremely thankful for him and his wonderful career and ability to provide for his family. On the other hand, because this type of week is so unusual, I really don't like it and start to miss him a lot!!!

Sorry that this post was mostly about me. I know this week hasn't been easy on Michael either. It cannot be easy to be working 24/7, so let me just finish the post by saying how much I appreciate how hard Michael works! He is such a hard worker and never complains! I support him in his career completely and during weeks like these, I'm happy to take care of his every need, so he can simply focus on finishing his work and getting enough sleep.

Message to my hubby and Madeline's daddy:
We love you!!! Come home soon!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats to Carter!!! That sure does make me feel old seeing him getting ready to graduate already :(