Thursday, February 19, 2009

For the first time, I feel....WICKED!

I LOVE musicals....always have! Some of my favorites are Annie, Sound of Music, Legally Blonde, Oklahoma, Gypsy, Footloose. But in my mind, nothing compares to Wicked.


Much of my love for musicals is thanks to my cousin, Kerri. We were born only 3 months apart and she is like a sister to me. We have literally spent our entire lives singing together and she always makes sure I know what songs I need to learn when it comes to musical theatre.






Kerri is an amazingly talented singer and actress. She recently completed the national broadway tour of Hairspray!


Right now, she is in Sarasota, Florida (a great city with a major theatre culture) and is starring in "Hula Hoop Sha-Boop" (she is on the left below).


Back to Wicked...
A couple of weekends ago, Michael and I were in the mood for karaoke, so we searched for places in Plano and came across D'Vine Wine. They had just started up karaoke on Saturday nights, so not many people knew about it yet. We were there with friends, Drew and Amy, and not more than 6 other people were there! So what does this mean? It means I can pretty much sing as much as I want to without having to wait on the DJ to call my name. Not only that, but we were able to bring in our own CDs and sing whatever we wanted. Very quickly, Amy and I realized we were gonna have to bring out the Wicked soundtrack! We sang Popular and Defying Gravity together and had so much fun!




Then, "As Long As You're Mine" came on. This is the love song that is performed by Elphaba and Fiyero. Anytime I'm performing Wicked for Michael, I make him sing this love song with me. :) So of course, he had to sing this one with me for karaoke! I just love the things he will do to make me happy!!!

1 comment:

Mindy Rives said...

OK...so I had the exact same back and yellow polk-a-dot outfit when I was little...how funny! We missed you so much at American Idol Xmas this past year....you've got to make an appearance at AI Xmas 2009!