Thursday, February 12, 2009

Reviving New Year's Resolutions

40 to 45% of American adult make one or more resolutions each year.

And the latest statistics are in: 30% of all resolutions are broken within the first week. The rest of them are out the window in less than a month. Not very encouraging for those of us working toward positive change!

I don't normally make "New Year's resolutions" for the New Year, but instead try to make them throughout the year.

My latest "resolution" is to save $30 a day by doing the following (Michael and me both... and yes, he is aware that this is his new resolution! haha):
1) RIDE THE TRAIN TO WORK
This is a $12 savings from not parking downtown and on gas (its 30 miles less driving)



2) TAKE MY LUNCH TO WORK
This is a $10 to $20 savings (depending on where Michael and I eat)


If I could make myself do this EVERY day, that saves me anywhere from $350 to $500 a month!!! And for a person like me where logic appeals me to very well, why don't I do this?!?!

1) Some days I do! Approx. 50% of the time right now
2) It takes 30 minutes longer to get to work when I ride the train
3) It takes 15 minutes longer to get ready in the morning when I have to make our lunches
4) Sometimes I just don't feel like having the same salad as usual (or last night's leftovers for lunch)...I'm not very creative in making lunches.
5) I like LEAVING the office during lunch!! I'm here long enough!
6) I love Potbelly's, Mi Cocina, Pei Wei, Chipolte
7) I am ok with riding the train in the morning, because I get to sit next to Michael but really hate sitting next to a stranger on the way home from work (I know, this is so petty)
8) Unlike Michael's work building, my building is not 10 feet from the train stop, it is several blocks, so if it's cold or raining, my walk is REALLY not fun at all
9) When we drive to work, we get to ride in the HOV lane
10) My car has seat heaters, the train does not

Okay, okay, ENOUGH excuses.....I've got to focus on that $500...it is completely within my reach!!! I've got to think of all the things I could do with that money! Or at the very least, I could save it. :) Plus, unlike most people, I only have to commute to work 4 days each week since I work from home one day a week.


Now that I have put this in writing, maybe I can do it. I'll let you know!

1 comment:

In With the Light said...

your blog is so cute! my MIL has a cockalier and she is just the sweetest dog! yours are adorable!!